Top Animation Software for Windows 10:
Here is the list of top animation software for windows 10. In today’s digital era, Animation is undoubtedly one of the most prominent forms of visual communication. If a creator wishes to convey an idea or tell a story through animation, he/she must be well versed with its different tools & features. There are two types of animations – 2D & 3D which involve a variety of processes such as rendering, modeling, simulation, etc.
This article provides an overview of the 10 best animation software for Windows 10, both free as well as paid. Whether you are a professional or an amateur, you can take advantage of these for creating attractive animations. Essence studios are the best animation software provider, you can also check there.
So, here we are with a compilation of the best 2D & 3D animation tools which can be used to create a wide range of animated videos.
Blender is one of the most recommended free animation software for Windows 10. It offers a plethora of tools to create 3D animations such as modeling, rigging, simulation, rendering, motion tracking, compositing, 2D animation pipeline as well as video editing.
It is an open-source software which means creators from around the world can provide their inputs and contribute to its maintenance. Blender is widely used in creating video games as well as animations for films & the TV industry.
- Offers a selection of advanced tools such as panning, camera rotation at 360 degrees, tracking tilting, object tracking, sculpting, retopology, etc
- With Python API, you can customize the interface for faster navigation while working on various projects
- The Grease pencil allows you to draw in 3D while combining 2D & 3D art
- You can easily create simulations for smoke, fog, rain, liquid, fire, etc
- Blender allows the user to import/import videos in a variety of formats like AVI, MPEG, QuickTime, etc
- Allows you to create custom keyboard shortcuts
- Offers a path-tracer for realistic rendering
- Turn static characters into attractive animations
- Offers a real-time preview of 3D scene along with tracked footage
- Offers a wide variety of video editing tools
- The interface can be customized as per your needs
- Best VFX & animation tools and features
- There are tutorials to help you use the software in a better way
- Complicated interface especially for beginners
A beginner-friendly option, OpenToonz is one of the best free animation software for Windows 10. It allows users to create stunning 2D animated videos for both commercial and non-commercial purposes. Therefore, you can also create engaging marketing videos for your brand.
As it is completely open-source, animators and developers can easily customize it to suit their working requirements.
- Offers a selection of effects and compositing scenes such as lighting, blurs, keys, masks, warps, etc
- Offers a range of bitmap & vector drawing tools
- Other advanced features include motion tracking, scripting, frame by frame animation, indexed color palettes, bones character animation, wavy distortion, etc
- Facilitates synthesization of effects using Graphic User Interface and node tree
- With Motion Tweening, you can link objects to carry out complicated movements
- The software allows you to use anti-aliased lines
- It allows you to scan various images within the product
- It allows you to correct smoothly without losing the frame
- Allows you to add provisional colours to create a more visually-appealing animation
- Offers a variety of effects
- The software is compatible with coloured, black & white as well as without binarization scanning
- Takes a little more time to learn the software
Pencil 2D is a 2D animation tool widely used to create hand-drawn animations. With a simple, intuitive, and lightweight interface, you can create eye-catching animated videos using a variety of pens, brush as well as color tools.
Since it’s open-source software, it can be easily used both for personal as well as business use, so you can create clips just for fun or even marketing bits.
- Pencil2D is equipped with a wide range of tools including onion skinning, layers, keyframe, workplace toolbars as well as panels that make it a powerful suite
- Offers raster & vector workflows while allowing you to easily switch between them
- Offers a clean & organized timeline layout which allows a seamless creation of new frames on layers
- Allows reviewing of your work with flipping or rolling techniques
- Supports TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
- Allows importing of new layers on specific frames
- Allows adding & duplication of different frames on several tracks
- Offers tutorials in different languages
- Cross-platform software
- Easy-to-use for beginners
- Ideal for creating videos for YouTube
- It doesn’t offer a shape tool to draw different shapes
4. Synfig Studio
Synfig Studio is one of the most popular 2D animation software for Windows 10. The software is free of cost and suits both amateurs and professional animators. It offers two versions namely – Development and the Stable version. The Stable version is equipped with all the necessary tools that are required for completing basic animation.
Whereas the Development version offers a selection of some high-end features for users who wish to be more innovative.
- The software works well for adding distortions, filters, geometrics, transformations, etc.
- With the high-end bone system, you can create cut-out animations using bitmap images or vector graphics
- Offers multiple layers of content
- You can transform an image with a vector shape into another
- Allows you to easily add & synchronize background music or narration to your video
- Allows linking of parameters of layers using mathematical expressions
- Offers over 50 layers to create stunning animated videos
- Offers a wide range of tutorials in multiple languages
- Supports a variety of layers
- Works excellent for 2D animation
- Beginners may take time to learn the software
5. Daz Studio
Daz Studio is a robust 3D animation tool perfect for creating short animated clips. Besides, it works great for creating detailed characters along with dress modeling. The interface is quite simple, so if you are a new user it will hardly take a day or two to get the hang of the software.
One of the best free animation software for Windows 7, 8, and 10, Daz Studio is packed with a vast selection of high-end tools for creating stunning animations, whether for fun or commercial purposes. The software provides excellent studio-class processing capabilities to create beautiful photorealistic images.
- It offers both textured and rigged 3D characters along with models for creating quick animated videos
- It allows you to create model, render as well as pose animation within the level of the skin texture
- It offers for 3D morphing, rendering and animation
- It offers GPU accelerated real-time rendering which provides the best results
- Some of its top features include material & light simulations, hexagon delete accessory, face transfers, facial expression interface, morphing capabilities, etc
- Offers a variety of transformer tools
- Offers a vast collection of human figures to help you draw realistic images
- Character creator for creating different types of characters
- Video tutorials for helping you understand the software
- User-friendly interface
- Importing animations doesn’t result in proper results always
Powtoon is a cloud-based animation software for Windows 10 which allows animators to create attractive videos for purposes such as presentations, online ads, informative videos, tutorials, demos, manuals, etc. While the paid version of this software offers a plethora of advanced tools, the free version offers a stripped-down free tool for short videos.
It’s an ideal video editing tool for beginners as it has a simple interface that allows them to create & share their videos easily. It also lets the users create, save & share their animations using Google Drive.
- Powtoon offers a wide range of tools like voice-overs, sound effects, sound tracks, images, clips, etc to help animators work on several projects
- Offers a variety of professional-looking templates such as infographic videos and animated explainers along with templates specially designed for product promotion
- Powtoon allows you to modify aspect ratios & sizes
- You can export videos to different platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia, etc
- It allows you to download finished videos as MP4
- It allows full video, GIF, animation as well as image file implementation
- Allows uploading of custom fonts
- Offers royalty-free libraries
- Simple user interface
- Good for commercial purposes
- Free version can be further updated
7. Toon Boom Harmony
Toon Boom Harmony is an all-in-one package for 3D animation which helps from drawing to finished product. It is one of the best animation software for Windows that helps create short animations, storyboards, and art pieces. You might get overwhelmed by the look of the software initially, but its collection of powerful tools will definitely help you create impressive animations.
- Allows you to create cut-out animations
- Offers 3, 4 and 5-point curved perspective guides
- Offers 2D & 3D integration
- Innovative vector & bitmap drawing technique
- Create paperless animated videos
- Offers high-end colour palette & paint options
- Facilitates easy integration with the software in the production pipeline
- You can use a stabilizer for drawing smoother lines
- Lets you import multilayer PSD & PSB files, PDF, Illustrator, PDF, bitmaps as well as other media files
- Offers a wide range of drawing and animation options
- Helps in creating 2D animation for video games
- The user might face a few glitches if the computer’s software is not up-to-date
K-3D is another great choice for 3D animation software as it is a combination of built-in plugins and a visualization pipeline structure offering a robust & flexible platform to animators. The interface of this software is known for its versatility, consistency as well as intuitiveness, which makes it quite comfortable for the users.
K-3D is free-to-use and is packed with a number of powerful tools and features for creating amazing animations.
- Offers an advanced undo/redo function letting users go back and forth
- Features procedural & parametric workflows to adjust the properties interactively & showing immediate results
- A node-based visualization pipeline to connect different tools
- It also allows you to work on one side of a model and get the other side mirrored while viewing how it looks when welded together
- Free & open-source
- Offers a wide range of built-in plugins
- User interface needs improvement
KeyShot is another one of the best free animation software for Windows. It is a popular 3D animation & 3D rendering tool that assists animators in creating everything from simple models to more complex & sophisticated animations. It is widely trusted by animation enthusiasts for its ease of use, faster speed, and high-end animation tools.
It offers an excellent feature i.e. real-time rendering which displays the changes made, in the fastest way possible. This results in a time-saving process of finishing the animation.
- The easy to use work-flow based interface is equipped with all the high-end features for professional 3D rendering
- Offers HDRI lighting to provide enhanced lighting effects while adjusting a scene or an object
- Allows you to either use CPU or NVIDIA GPUs for rendering while also allowing you to scale linearly for seamless performance
- Offers dynamic virtual mapping for simulating the real appearance of a site
- Virtual camera control for simulating physical camera behaviour
- Offers focused caustics so that different objects and scenes are properly lit
- The 3D Model Library offers a wide range of models with different textures & materials
- Toon Shading allows you to create non photorealistic renderings apt for patent drawings, technical documentation, etc
- It offers libraries full of textures, colours, environments and materials
- Offers a wide selection of high-end features such as bubbles, configurator, displacement, Geometry Editor, Model Sets, Stereoscopic View, Scripting, HDRI Editor, etc
- Offers a variety of animation tools such as Camera Path Animation, Panorama Animation, Zoom Animation, DOF Animation, etc
- Works exceptionally well for producing speedy, accurate and stunning visuals
- Provides real-time 3D rendering
- Offers a multitude of animation tools and features
- Doesn’t offer built-in templates
10. Adobe After Effects
Adobe After Effects is the best animation software for Windows specifically designed to add stunning visual effects and motion graphics to videos. Besides, it also allows animators to add dynamic movement to different objects as well as a variety of expressions to give a livelier look to the videos.
This 3D animation tool provides a selection of inbuilt tools for creating attractive videos featuring underwater objects and neon signs. The tools also help in eliminating larger objects.
- The Motion Blur feature provides a realistic effect to the videos
- You can draw complex shapes
- The Roto Brush selection makes it easier to refine sharp edges
- You can remove unwanted parts of your video using Content Aware Fill tool
- Allows you to place 2D layers in a 3D space
- The Luma Matte helps in cutting objects and create a transparent background
- Helps in creating amazing transitions
- It allows you to track objects for adding animations
- Offer tools for creating high-quality motion designs
- The interface is a bit too complicated
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which is the best animation software for Windows or Mac?
Though there are a whole lot of options available if you are looking for good animation software that would run on Windows & Mac operating systems. We suggest you pick one as per your requirements and budget. Blender, Synfig Studio, OpenToonz, Powtoon, KeyShot, K-3D, and Toon Boom Harmony are some of the best animation software for Windows & Mac, that you can opt for.